at szade, we take a holistic approach to sustainability. what we do is important, but we wanted to focus on how we do it too. our design studio and entire team operate within a repurposed chocolate factory in melbourne, australia. our brand ethos and philosophy of using existing resources to innovate and create led us to this unique space.
szade have been part of the cityswitch energy efficiency program since 2017. szade has committed to this initiative and will continue to strive for better, cleaner and more sustainable sources of energy to power our business.
szade takes a holistic approach to sustainability, ensuring that even the most mundane aspects of the business are conducted ethically for the preservation of the planet's resources. these include ;
- minimizing paper and cardboard use via practices such as printing controls and an active policy of the total reuse of cardboard boxes in our warehouses.
- reusing materials where possible ; this is very much in line with our unique recycling process and brand philosophy to minimize material consumption and waste.
- recycling 90% of waste to minimize landfill disposal ; including composting organic matter for our friends in our on-site worm farm!
- continued work on increased energy efficiency including introducing various automated lighting, heating and cooling systems in our premises along with efficient light fittings.
- responsibly sourced recycled paper used in all offices.
in 2020 we partnered with our neighbors who share this amazing space to install a 265kWp solar panel array on the roof, which powers our business with renewable energy.
whether it's our cardboard shipper, the tag and card inside the case, our catalogues or brand cards, every piece of printed material is made from certified recycled paper and cardboard. we don't use single use plastics for stuffing and wrapping, and each frame is presented in recycled tissue to protect them during the packing process.
our signature szade sunglass cases are made to last. we decided quality and longevity were the most important attributes of our protective cases. they're designed to last and be reused again and again... no matter what you decide to put in there! you can opt out of receiving a case to minimize material use (or if you already have one), and we encourage you to reuse your case for your next pair of szades... and the one after that too!